I love straw basket bags and for a few years, I have been collecting them. I love how beautiful they look with my favorite summer outfits. Today, I am sharing with you this easy DIY straw basket bag. The design was inspired by a bag that I found here. I loved the fact that the handle was so unique but at over $80 US I knew I could make something similar for way less.
For this DIY straw basket bag, you will only need a few inexpensive items, and there is no sewing required so it is quick to make. If you love the bag but don’t want to make your own. I have linked a few straw bags that I also love and I think you will too!
Ikea Hack DIY Straw Basket Bag
What you will need:
- A basket with a lid- I used the Fryken Baskets from Ikea. They come in a set of 3 and make great storage containers. You can also check out thrift stores to find cheap baskets to use for the project.
- Leather or suede cord- craft store
- Round neutral-colored wooden beads from any craft store.
Putting your DIY Straw Basket Bag Together:
- Measure how long you would like the handle to be with your cord. Cut your cord to your desired length.
- Feed the cord through one side of the basket. I used a crochet needle tool to feed it through but you can use whatever you feel comfortable with. Please avoid using something sharp.
- Tie the cord to the basket
- String the wooden beads onto the cord.
- Tie the handle to the other side of the basket. Viola! Your basket bag is now done.
I love how this bag turned out and I especially love how unique it looks. The bag is not my everyday bag as you can’t fit too much. However, it does fit my basic essentials like my phone, keys and card wallet.
The awesome thing about this DIY is that you don’t have to make the exact same bag as me. You can use whatever basket you have available with whatever wooden beads you have available.
I decided to style the bag with this beautiful yellow gingham dress and straw hat. The outfit was easy to put together and the bag went perfectly with it. I purchased the dress from Winners, a store similar to TJ Max or Marshalls. Unfortunately, the stock is never the same from store to store.
Hope you enjoyed the post
Until Next Time,
What is your go-to summer accessory?
For more great posts on motherhood, DIYs, fashion and more Subscribe by email
Want more DIY posts? Check out the last DIY post here, 4 Dollar Tree DIY Farmhouse Coastal Beach Decor
If you would rather purchase a basket bag, shop my favorites below.
Shop Similar Dresses below: